Modern Orthopaedic Manual Therapy of the Spine
16./17. März 2023
Modern Orthopaedic Manual Therapy of the Spine is a 2-day course designed to educate the learner on modern, evidence-based manual therapy principles, philosophies, mechanisms, techniques, home exercise programs, and clinical outcomes. The 70% lab and 30% lecture course is interactive and covers the following topics.
- The components that influence patient reported outcomes (e.g., natural history, non-specific and specific and shared effects);
- Specific mechanisms associated with thrust and non-thrust manipulation;
- The required specificity of manual therapy;
- Whether one form (or any form) of manual therapy leads to improved mechanisms or clinical effects;
- How to discuss the use of a manual therapy to a patient (in other words, what it does and doesn’t do);
- The overall clinical effects associated with thrust and non-thrust manipulation
By the end of the course, the learner will:
- Recognize many of the prevailing theories and myths associated with orthopaedic manual therapy (OMT);
- Understand the mechanisms associated with OMT;
- Identify the influence of an OMT intervention on patient outcomes;
- Decipher the evidence for OMT mechanisms and clinical outcomes;
- Synthesize the clinically-oriented evidence on thrust and non-thrust manipulation;
- Apply common OMT techniques in a laboratory setting;
- Identify methods to modify OMT techniques based on patient presentation;
- Identify augmented methods of OMT for home use;
- Recognize the gaps in the literature for thrust and non-thrust manipulation.
9:00-10:00: Definitions, prevailing myths, and understanding the role of OMT. Appropriate terminology and patient communication.
10:00-10:45: Principles of Examination: How does OMT fit in: (lab)
11:15-12:30: Mechanisms of manual therapy and use of augmented treatment
01:30-03:15: Assessment and treatment of the Cervical Spine (lab)
03:45-05:00: Treatment (and augmentation) of the Cervical spine (lab)
05:00- Questions and discussion
09:00-10:45: Assessment and treatment of the thoracic spine
11:15-11:45: Treatment (and augmentation) of the thoracic spine
11:45-12:30: Determining responders/treatment specificity (what is the current evidence?)
01:30-03:15: Assessment and treatment of the lumbar spine (lab)
03:45-05:00: Treatment (and augmentation) of the lumbar spine (lab)
05:00- Questions and discussion
Course Instructor - Dr. Chad Cook
Chad Cook, PT, PhD, FAPTA is professor in the Department of Orthopaedics and Population Health Sciences at Duke University, with a category A appointment in the Duke Clinical Research Institute. He is a physical therapist with over 32 years of clinical experience. Dr. Cook has completed formal doctorate or post-doctoral educational training in economics and chronic pain management. Dr. Cook is a Fellow in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy. He is a clinical researcher, who has specialized in refining and improving the patient examination process and developing pain management approaches for patients with musculoskeletal conditions.
He has published over 320 peer-reviewed and been an investigator in over 11 million USD of funding by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Department of Defense, and the Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy. He is presently the Director and Founder of the Center of Excellence in Manual and Manipulative Therapy (@DukeCEMMT) and is a principal investigator of “ForceNET” a NIH trial on force-based mechanisms.
Dr. Cook has won numerous awards locally at Duke, as well as prestigious awards through the American Physical Therapy Association the American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy and other groups.
Donnerstag, 16. März 2023, 09.00 - 17.00 Uhr
Freitag, 17. März 2023, 09.00 - 17.00 Uhr
Physio Campus svomp, Seebacherstrasse 4, 8052 Zürich
CHF 525 für Mitglieder
CHF 625 für Nichtmitglieder
Anmeldungen nehmen wir gerne online oder per E-Mail entgegeben.
Eine Abmeldung muss schriftlich erfolgen. Für Annullationen werden folgende Gebühren verrechnet:
- bis 31 Tage vor Kursbeginn: Bearbeitungsgebühr CHF 50.00
- ab 30 Tage vor Kursbeginn 100% der Kosten
Es kann eine Annullierungskostenversicherung abgeschlossen werden. Mehr Informationen dazu infosvompch